Thursday, January 8, 2009

Women of Congo

I was recently looking on our foreign missions website and they had a little section with African countries that do not have missionaries. I am not sure how much it is updated but it said that there are no missionaries in Congo. I did a little research on Congo and it is so sad!! In Eastern Congo because of the civil war that had been going on so many brutal and just plain HORRIBLE things were happening. Women of Eastern Congo were being raped on a daily basis as a means to exercise power. One article said that in some villiages 90 percent of women had been raped. They are group raped and their family members are forced to watch or even participate. So many of these women kill themselves or they just stop functioning all together. Oh my word! Reading about this broke my heart so much. I want to hop a plane and go to Congo. I could not do much myself but I will tell you that these women that are in the hospital barely functioning can become whole again if only they can hear about God and all that He can do. This country will be forever in my heart. I hope someday someone can go over to Congo and somehow reach these women. They just need a little bit of hope. This makes me so sad. I am sitting here at my computer with tears pouring down my face realizing that I take for granted how good I actually have it here in the States.

No comments: